Up to

Date

Antoinette Bouzonnet Stella, The Entrance of the Emperor Sigismond into Mantua, 1675; Engraving on paper, 6 ½ x 15 ¾ in.; Gift of Chris Petteys
NMWA-Chile representatives participated in the 2019 Venice Biennial

07 - 04 - 2019

NMWA-Chile representatives participated in the 2019 Venice Biennial

We are glad to be among the organizations that supported the Altered Views project, a piece by artist Voluspa Jarpa that is representing Chile in the 58th Venice Art Biennial. The Chilean pavilion will be open to the public until November 2019.

A large delegation of members and stakeholders of the Chile Committee of the National Museum of Women in the Arts traveled to Venice to attend the inauguration of the Chilean Pavilion at one of the world’s most prestigious contemporary events.

The delegation that accompanied the artist included Drina Rendic and Teruca Martínez, board members of the Chile Committee, along with Denise Ratinoff, George Anastassiou and his wife, Charles Kimber, Lauren Bate, James Walker, Catalina Saieh, Ana María Garling, Ricardo Roa, Yolanda Tejeda, Roxana Varas, Jaime Etchepare, Inés Ortega, Roberto Durán, and Patricia Ready, Voluspa Jarpa’s gallerist.

Chile is one of the few countries in Latin America taking part in this event with a national pavilion, and is able to do so thanks to the support of several private and public entities, one of which is the Chile Committee,. As the artist revealed, nearly 70% of her Venice project budget was contributed by private entities, whose funding was partly managed by Antenna. The remaining 30% was publicly funded through the Ministry of the Cultures, the Arts, and Heritage.

“We at the Chile Committee of the National Museum of Women in the Arts are honored to accept Antenna’s invitation to support this great conceptual artist and accompany her to Venice”, noted Drina Rendic.

The Chilean pavilion was inaugurated by the Minister of Culture, Consuelo Valdés, and immediately became one of the favorites of arts reporters and the public.

“Altered Views”, an artistic project developed by Jarpa and Spanish curator Agustín Pérez Rubio, is a reflection on racism, the patriarchy, economic interests, and domination as forms of colonization. Through a museum-like exhibit that includes large-format paintings, objects, and installations, the visual artist presents cases that invite Chileans and Europeans to think about the importance of creating our own ways of being and understanding ourselves as a region and as inhabitants of Latin America.

View some pictures of the inauguration of the Chilean Pavilion.

Sponsors

Special thanks

Collaborators

    • Andrea Cuomo
    • Andrés Rodríguez Perez
    • Cecilia Echeñique
    • Comité Calificador de Donaciones Culturales
    • Embajada de Chile en Estados Unidos
    • Estela F. Garafulich Adult Literacy Programe
    • Francisca Florenzano
    • Javier Mendicute
    • Javiera Parada
    • Jurado Concurso de Canto 2014-15
    • Jurado Concurso “Mujeres en la Musica II”
    • Jurado Final “Cartas de Mujer”
    • Jurado Preseleccion “Cartas de Mujer”
    • Kingston Family Vineyards, Casablanca Valley
    • María José Viera Gallo
    • Mario Agliati
    • Michelle Landa
    • Nieves Edwards
    • Roberto Sepúlveda
    • Rodrigo Espinosa
    • Teatro Corpartes 660
    • Ximena Sahli
    • Viñamar y Castillo de Molina
    • Viña Veramonte

INSTAGRAM

capitulochilenonmwa