CHILE COMMITTEE OF THE NMWA

Events

Every year, the Chile Committee of the NMWA organizes multiple social, artistic, and institutional events aimed at bringing our members together and celebrating the work carried out in collaboration with our partner organizations. The following are the main events conducted to date.

WE CELEBRATED WOMEN’S MONTH WITH A COLLOQUIUM LED BY VOLUSPA JARPA

The event, organized thanks to the support of the Chilean branch of Swiss bank Julius Baer, was an opportunity to learn about and reflect on the artistic production of Voluspa Jarpa, the artist who will represent Chile in the 2019 Venice Biennial.

Over one hundred people attended this well-established event in which the Chile Committee of the National Museum of Women in the Arts celebrates women’s month. This year, the event was held on March 27 at Santiago’s Fashion Museum. It was inaugurated by James Walker and Andrea Cuomo from Julius Baer and Drina Rendic, President of NMWA-Chile, who explained the relevance of continuing to work to achieve gender equity in the arts and stressed the difficulties that women must contend with in this field.

“According to recent studies –like one conducted in the Barcelona Talking Galleries Symposium in January this year– only one third of exhibitions in museums, galleries, and fairs showcase women’s work. Likewise, economist Clare McAndrew from Dublin’s Arts Economics notes that women’s art sells for 50% less than men’s”, explained Rendic in her inaugural address.

Members, collaborators, friends, and stakeholders took part in an event that enabled them to reflect on artists’ place in society and art’s role as a tool for dialogue. The colloquium was moderated by Denise Ratinoff, member of the Advisory Council of NMWA-Chile and Christie’s international representative for Chile, Peru, and Ecuador.
Voluspa Jarpa used this occasion to thank her gallery (Patricia Ready) and Antenna (an agency that connects artists with the private world) for their support. The artist also revealed that nearly 70% of her Venice project budget was contributed by private entities, while the remaining 30% was publicly funded through the Ministry of the Cultures, the Arts, and Heritage.

Afterward, attendees enjoyed a merry cocktail party in the museum’s gardens and visited the exhibition “Kurt Cobain, beyond the music”, open until the end of the month.

View image gallery






Sponsors

Special thanks

Collaborators

    • Andrea Cuomo
    • Andrés Rodríguez Perez
    • Cecilia Echeñique
    • Comité Calificador de Donaciones Culturales
    • Embajada de Chile en Estados Unidos
    • Estela F. Garafulich Adult Literacy Programe
    • Francisca Florenzano
    • Javier Mendicute
    • Javiera Parada
    • Jurado Concurso de Canto 2014-15
    • Jurado Concurso “Mujeres en la Musica II”
    • Jurado Final “Cartas de Mujer”
    • Jurado Preseleccion “Cartas de Mujer”
    • Kingston Family Vineyards, Casablanca Valley
    • María José Viera Gallo
    • Mario Agliati
    • Michelle Landa
    • Nieves Edwards
    • Roberto Sepúlveda
    • Rodrigo Espinosa
    • Teatro Corpartes 660
    • Ximena Sahli
    • Viñamar y Castillo de Molina
    • Viña Veramonte

MEDIA PARTNERS 2014-2015

INSTAGRAM

capitulochilenonmwa